(Weekend humor post directly below this one, and political posts further down. Keep scrolling)
1. Inverter (DC to AC) for the sump pump and the fridge? Check. An inverter is especially useful as it doesn't have to be ventilated as does a gasoline-fueled generator.
2. Some bottled water and plenty of canned goods, etc.? Check.
3. Prescription meds for Mr. AOW and for me? Check.
4. Cat food and kitty litter? Check.
5. Cell phones fully charged? Check.
6. Outdoor items secured? Check.
My biggest concern is downed power lines and downed phone lines. If Verizon goes down, I'll be incommunicado for about 10 days.
Thus far, Hurricane Irene 2011 doesn't look to be nearly as bad as Hurricane Isabel, which left us out of power and our main road blocked for three days here in the immediate DC area. Much worse for those in outlying areas.
And one more thing....The local media coverage of Hurricane Irene has been in the scare-tactics range. Sheesh.
Yesterday, when the sun was shining and nary a drop of rain had fallen, 7 out of 8 drivers were speeding all over the place with their headlights on. Emergency mode! Go figure.
What a week! An earthquake on Tuesday and a hurricane on Saturday-Sunday.